VMware Communities
netlib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SCO Unixware or OpenServer

Has anyone successfully installed SCO UnixWare or OpenServer as a guest OS in VMWare Workstation 6.0?

I know this has been asked before but not for a while. Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
nkadel
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running it right now! SCO OpenServer 5.0.6, Workstation 6.0 on an RHEL 5 server.

Simply install emulating ATA drives, not SCSI, and you won't have to go through the craziness installing the BusLogic controllers. This SCSI craziness is documented in APLawrence's blog, but it's stable and shifts from SCO release to SCO release: the spectacular difficulty of getting your VMware console to display fast enough to allow you to reset the virtualized BIOS for boot management makes it almost impossible to use the that published technique.

It does make me wish that the BIOS boot could be slowed down just a few seconds as a VMware option, to give opportunities to reset the BIOS if needed.

0 Kudos
netlib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks - we were able to finally get a guest UnixWare up and running, but we were never able to give it access to the outside world - either via the network or drag-and-drop. So we ended up having to build a physical machine anyway.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> It does make me wish that the BIOS boot could be slowed down just a few seconds as a VMware option,

see

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-advanced.html#bios

0 Kudos