VMware Communities
gers32
Contributor
Contributor

Can't PING from XP guest to Vista host, regardless of Ethernet setting

Hi,

I have VMWare Player (2.0.2 build-59824) installed on a Vista host; the Virtual Machine is XP SP2. I can ping from the Vista host to the XP guest but not the other way around. The Ethernet setting on the Player is "Bridged" by default, so I tried setting to "Nat" and "Host-only", but it still doesn't work (unless I'm supposed to restart the virtual OS after I change settings?).

The XP guest will be running a Ruby on Rails application and needs to communicate with Oracle installed on the Vista host. I'll appreciate any input on this problem.

Chris

0 Kudos
4 Replies
jgl1975
Expert
Expert

Hello!

It might seem obvious but how is the Vista firewall setup ?

Have you tried to disable it ?

ponpalani2001
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

I had a same problem when using VMware workstation. I had solved the problem by choosing custom adapter(VMnet0) on the workstation side and made host machine network connection setting also as VMnet0. Then it solved the problem.

Thanks

gers32
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the tip jgl1975. Yes, my Vista host firewall is disabled because I had already installed a version of my application on a real XP machine inside my network. But this time, I'm trying to do the same with a virtual machine, so I can test with different OSes.

0 Kudos
gers32
Contributor
Contributor

ponpalani2001, I'd like to try this out, but would you be kind enough to help me out with the details?

First, how do I set this on the VMWare side (I'm using VMWare Player, and not Workstation)? I looked inside the vmx configuration file, but found nothing, as well as in the Player's menus...

Second, how do I set this on my Vista host, and might it adversely affect my network settings (to the outside)?

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Kudos