VMware Cloud Community
janderklander64
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Visual C++ Runtime error

I have installed VMware Converter in 3 machines, two of them with XP SP2 and the other one with Server 2003 standard SP2. In all of them, when I want to convert the physical machine (selecting "Import machine" -> Physical computer > This local machine") all the time I get the same error: "Microsoft visual C++ runtime library - Runtime error - Program C:... - This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information". The same error appears selecting the "Log info" button. I have rebooted the machines several times. They are updated via Microsoft Update, the OS's are legal and run without other errors. Can someone tell me what's happening? Is very important for me to convert the 2003 machine to virtual, and I don't know what to do right now. Thank you very much!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try changing the user variables of Windows “TEMP" and "TMP", to the value: C:\Temp (which it looks like you have tried already)

Check/change all your variables for anything non-26letter-english such as "%USERPROFILE%\Configuración local\Temp"

VMware Converter is not fully i18n‐compliant. Certain migrations have some requirements for using English ASCII in various entries.

Reference: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual302.pdf (21 of 80)

Check to make sure you have at least 200-300mb free space

If that doesn't work, reinstall (to the C:\ drive) using the newest release of converter:

www.vmware.com/downloads/converter

STEPS:

1. uninstall

2. reboot

3. clean registry

4. reboot

5. re-install

6. reboot

Manual cleanup required of some Converter Agent files from remote source physical machine

In some cases, the automatic cleanup of Converter Agent files from the system on which it ran is incomplete. If there are vmware-ufad-p2v-XXXXX subdirectories remaining under %SystemRoot% on the remote source physical machine after completion of the import (either successful or failed), automatic cleanup was not totally successful, and might cause future import attempts to fail. To clean up manually (recommended), follow these steps:

1. Launch regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

2. Remove the stcp2v30 key

3. Remove the vstor2-p2v30 key

4. Remove all vmware-ufad-p2v-XXXXX keys

5. Remove all courier-XXXXX keys

6. Reboot

7. Under %SystemRoot%\system32, remove all vmware-ufad-p2v-XXXXX subdirectories

8. Reboot

Afterwhich, reinstall as the "local" admin directly onto the physical machine using all defaults.

If this is the results of using a Cold Clone with the BootCD, re-download the ISO to ensure it is not corrupt.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sthlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Are you using the latest version of VMware Converter? The latest version is 3.0.2 update 1 which is available here:

Is the Windows version in English or another language?

0 Kudos
sthlee
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are using non-English version of Windows, please change the System Variables "TEMP" and "TMP" from the default to "C:\TEMP".

0 Kudos
janderklander64
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I am using latest version of VMware Converter, and I am using spanish version of Windows XP. I have changed system variables to c:\temp, but still don't work. Can I do any other thing to resolve it? Thank you

0 Kudos
theanykey
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try changing the user variables of Windows “TEMP" and "TMP", to the value: C:\Temp (which it looks like you have tried already)

Check/change all your variables for anything non-26letter-english such as "%USERPROFILE%\Configuración local\Temp"

VMware Converter is not fully i18n‐compliant. Certain migrations have some requirements for using English ASCII in various entries.

Reference: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual302.pdf (21 of 80)

Check to make sure you have at least 200-300mb free space

If that doesn't work, reinstall (to the C:\ drive) using the newest release of converter:

www.vmware.com/downloads/converter

STEPS:

1. uninstall

2. reboot

3. clean registry

4. reboot

5. re-install

6. reboot

Manual cleanup required of some Converter Agent files from remote source physical machine

In some cases, the automatic cleanup of Converter Agent files from the system on which it ran is incomplete. If there are vmware-ufad-p2v-XXXXX subdirectories remaining under %SystemRoot% on the remote source physical machine after completion of the import (either successful or failed), automatic cleanup was not totally successful, and might cause future import attempts to fail. To clean up manually (recommended), follow these steps:

1. Launch regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

2. Remove the stcp2v30 key

3. Remove the vstor2-p2v30 key

4. Remove all vmware-ufad-p2v-XXXXX keys

5. Remove all courier-XXXXX keys

6. Reboot

7. Under %SystemRoot%\system32, remove all vmware-ufad-p2v-XXXXX subdirectories

8. Reboot

Afterwhich, reinstall as the "local" admin directly onto the physical machine using all defaults.

If this is the results of using a Cold Clone with the BootCD, re-download the ISO to ensure it is not corrupt.

0 Kudos
janderklander64
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were right!!!. I changed system variables, but NOT user variables. Now I have changed "%USERPROFILE%\Configuración local\Temp" for "%USERPROFILE%\Temp" and everything works OK!.

I think the people of VMware should correct this in future releases, or at least warn it clearly for non-English-windows-versions users.:D

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
qboy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using a standard english version on a Server 2003 machine , but i am also having this problem. I have restarted the machine a couple of times but still does not want to import to virtual.

Please help me!!

0 Kudos
Odinn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I get the same thing with Standard English install.

As soon as I click on Import Machine, I get the fatal error

This happens with the client on XP SP2 and 2003 Server

0 Kudos
Green72
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This thread solved the problem for me - Spanish Windows 2003

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/217349?start=0&tstart=0

Hope it helps...

Richard

0 Kudos