VMware Communities
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

Can not install windows xp

can anyone tell me how to install windows xp. I only have a burned copy , and my other pc can with windows already installed. I keed getting errors saying that no boot filename found. Anyone

0 Kudos
17 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Where did you get the burned copy from? Are you sure the original is a bootable CD, and that you copied it properly (e.g. the copy is still bootable)?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It would be more helpful if you could read first.

Then supply the additional information as suggested.

That said are you saying this burned cd does boot a physical PC but you are having problems booting the VM? On maybe not.

Where did you get the CD. If you burned it, how and from what source? What are the exact steps you took in creating and booting the VM with the CD? Did you run through the New Virtual Machine Assistant and use Windows Easy Install and proceed straight through booting from that point of did you try a manual install and what is the exact wording of the error message, a screenshot might be helpful.

Please, at the least, give enough information so not to have to play 20 questions! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

I copied this my self 2 years ago. it boots with my pc. I also tried an original disk that i do have of windows 98 and still no luck

0 Kudos
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

ok i am very new to mac so bear with me. I just bought this imac with leopard. ok i installed fusion the i open it up and press new. i follow the prompts and i tries both the automatic easy install and choosing the cd drive manualy. then i put the cd in . a black screen opens up and it looks like its searching for something. hen i get an error " no boot filename recieved and a popup "no bootable device was detected" and then no operating system found. I tried this both on the copy ox xp i have and on an original 98 version i have. As far as sending an snap shot i have no idea how to. Also i think i tried this half a dozen times so now i have about 6 windows on fusion listed

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Don't worry about the VM that are showing on the Virtual machine Library window since you actually haven't built them there taking up only a little space.

Sounds like maybe the CD is not being grabbed as the first boot device, which in the BIOS is not anyway, although when you use the Windows Easy Install and proceed straight through to creating the VM it is suppose to grab the CD first one time. So the only thing I can't suggest without seeing a screenshot is to go into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM to be the first Boot Device. You can also add a boot delay entry or a entry to force it into the BIOS one time to the VM's .vmx configuration file to help you getting into the BIOS as it goes by so fast it hard to press Esc to select a boot device or F2 to get into the BIOS to make changes.

Add the following to the VM's .vmx file.

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

and or

bios.bootDelay = "3000"

Information about the .vmx file can be found in: .

Built-in Mac Screenshot Commands

Key Combination - Result

CommandShift3 - Capture entire screen and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+3 - Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard.

CommandShift4 - Capture dragged area and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+4 - Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard.

CommandShift4 then Space bar - Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file.

CommandControlShift+4 then Space bar - Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard.

Edit: When you do a Screenshot that saves to a file it's placed on your Desktop as "Picture n.png" (Where "n" is a number.)

0 Kudos
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

with this option on changing the bios, is this going to creat a dual boot system or are these the steps to have windows ran as an application

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

These options refer to the virtual machine's BIOS - Macs don't even have BIOSes anyway, they use EFI.

0 Kudos
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

can I creat a virtual machine on my pc and bring it to my mac

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, as long as you created it with a supported product. What product and version on the PC would you be using?

0 Kudos
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

does vmwarw have a product I can use? I thought I saw a free download of something I don't remeber that name

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You already have Fusion installed on your Mac why don't you create the VM in Fusion? Were you not able to follow the instruction given to you earlier in this thread? If you can't create it in Fusion the only Free VMware Product that can create a VM that can run in Windows or Linux is even more difficult to use than Fusion so if you can't get it in Fusion I would have to doubt your ability to do it in VMware Server.

0 Kudos
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

ok how about this,if I install the free trial that's available of win 2003 will I be able to upgade to

Win so from within

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

When you started this thread you were having problems installing Windows XP and have been given good information in order to help you with this issue. Along the way you have not answered many of the questions and requests in order to help you solve this problem. Nor have you expressed that you could not understand or follow the what has been presented to you!

Help and Support is a two way street! If you are unwilling to supply answers to the previously asked questions and or acknowledge your success or failure with the information already given then I have nothing more to offer you. Sorry but I'll let you waste someone else's time, energy and effort!

0 Kudos
jdouk
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think I didn't answer any of you questions. Read above I said I am very new to mac that alone should say alot. I have win xp don't know if it has a boot, will boot in pc. Tried intalling different ways. That should sum it up. Any other questions I asked is because I was looking for other ways to install. You don't have to answer but thank you for doing so . Ottomh line I'd I didn't want to go out a repurchase windows again

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think I didn't answer any of you questions. Read above I said I am very new to mac that alone should say alot. I have win xp don't know if it has a boot, will boot in pc. Tried intalling different ways. That should sum it up. Any other questions I asked is because I was looking for other ways to install. You don't have to answer but thank you for doing so . Ottomh line I'd I didn't want to go out a repurchase windows again

I don't know what you consider new but I've only had my Mac for less than 6 months and I consider myself still to be a new Mac user. That aside I asked you "Where did you get the CD. If you burned it, how and from what source?" which you did not answer completely which of course leads me to believe it may be an illegal copy. You also did not confirm whether or not you modified the .vmx file or BIOS settings to enable the CD to be the first boot device and or give you the delay necessary to press F2 and select the CD as the boot device. Nor did you supply a screenshot after the directions on creating a screenshot where provided.

The bottom line is information exchange is a two way street and not only for the purpose of trying to help you but more importantly for the many other people that will come to these forums looking for answers and by not validating the support already given to you it is a disservice to others seeking help from what has already been posted in these forums. Much less it just plan rude not to respond with at least the bare minimum of I don't understand what your talking about or I just tried what you suggested and it did not work or something to acknowledge the efforts being made to help you!

I'm sorry you're having such a difficult time with this and I just don't know what else to offer if you can't confirm one way or the other that you took the steps already suggested and they too have failed.

0 Kudos
BBJonz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Woody,

I'm having the same problem. I followed your very clear advice, making the CD the first boot device, and still wind up with the dreaded "No bootable device was detected." I have an 17" iMac (2.0ghz) and the most recent version of VMWare Fusion running on the most recent version of Leopard. FWIW, I was able to install both Ubuntu and Windows 2000 Pro from CD and they both work just fine as virtual machines. I'd be most grateful for additional advice and will be happy to provide whatever screenshots are needed. Thanks in advance.

Joe

0 Kudos
BBJonz
Contributor
Contributor

I should also point out that my boot CD works with Windows machines, so it's not the CD. And I used easy install.

Joe

0 Kudos