VMware Communities
giovino
Contributor
Contributor

OptiPlex 755 - Error: This CPU is VT-capable, but VT is not enabled (Check your BIOS/firmware settings)

Machine Configuration:

Model: Dell OptiPlex 755

BIOS: A03

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00 GHz

VMware: 6.0.2

BIOS Settings:

Virtualization: This field specifies whether a Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM) can utilize the additional hardware capabilities provided by Intel(R) Virtualization Technology. (Status = On).

VT for Direct I/O: This field specifies whether a Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM) can utilize the additional hardware capabilities provided by Intel(R) Virtualization Technology for Direct I/O. (Status = On)

Scenario:

Trying to create a guest OS of Windows XP 64-bit SP2.

VMware Error messages:

Summary: This CPU is VT-capable, but VT is not enabled (Check your BIOS/firmware settings)

Full: You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host's CPU is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled. For more detailed information, see

Output of "Porocessor Check for 64-Bit Compatibility":

Results: This host is capable of running 64-bit guest Operating system under this VMware product.-----

Given all this information, does someone know why I cannot run a 64-bit guest OS in VMware?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you power-cycled the host since enabling VT in the BIOS?

0 Kudos
giovino
Contributor
Contributor

Yes... I have turned the machine off and on several times.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

In that case, you probably have a buggy BIOS. Download this ISO and boot the host from it to find out if VT is really enabled on each core.

giovino
Contributor
Contributor

vt.iso reported that VT was NOT enabled on the CPU.

I did the following:

• 1. BIOS setup > loaded BIOS defaults > restarted - (VT now disabled)

• 2. BIOS setup > enabled VT > restarted

• 3. Booted into vt.iso > it reports that VT is enabled

• 4. Verified that I am now able to run a 64-bit guest.

Thank you for the prompt response and solution.

0 Kudos
miszuni
Contributor
Contributor

This solution helped me - thank you.

0 Kudos