VMware Communities
birdie
Expert
Expert

VMWare Workstation for Windows: Troubleshooting installation and running

Many people on this forum seem to have problems with VMWare Workstation installation in Windows. Problems usually range from inability to start the installation process to inability of launching a virtual machine. In order to solve your problems here's a check list of the tasks you can accomplish to avoid such problems.

1. Make sure your Windows installation is consistent.

1.1 Check for viruses, trojans and other malware. There are plenty free antiviruses, I suggest using a totally free DrWeb CureIt application which can be downloaded here: or/and AVP Tool (http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/).

1.2 Empty your user "Temp" folder. It's usually located in C:\Documents and Settings\Your_username\Local Settings\Temp in Windows 2000/XP and in Vista/Windows 7 it is C:\users\Your_username\AppData\Local\Temp.

1.3 Empty your Windows Temp folder. It's usually located in C:\Windows\Temp.

1.4 Uninstall and revert all changes made by all applications you're not sure of, like optimizers, tweakers, traffic compressors, monitors, etc. In short: uninstall everything you do not use or you do not quite understand (except drivers, of course).

1.5 Make sure you have enough free disk space. To do so, click Start -> My computer -> Right Click C: -> Properties

1.6 Check all your disks for errors. To do so, click Start -> My computer -> Right Click C: (and all other local logical disks) -> Properties -> Tools -> Check Now -> Select "Automatically fix file system errors" -> Start. Answer "Yes" if windows say that checking will be done on the next reboot. Reboot if necessary.

1.7 Try uninstalling all previous versions of VMWare Workstation.

1.8 Update your hardware drivers and Windows (visit using Internet Explorer or enable Automatic Updates in System Properties).

1.9 Disable and/or remove unknown suspicious non-Microsoft Windows startup entries using Sysinternals Autoruns, HiJackThis or any other Windows startup utility.

2. Make sure your computer hardware is error free.

2.1 Download and burn as ISO image on your CD/DVD media this free memory check utility: (unzip it at first!). Boot from this CD/DVD and let this test run for at least one hour. There should be no errors reported. If you have any problems, contact your local RMA.

2.2 Make sure your CPU/GPU are not overclocked. (Consult with local computer technicians if you don't know how to check that out)

2.3 Check your CPU and HDDs temperature. Maximum CPU temperature should not exceed 70 degrees Celsius (sane values are below 60 degrees Celsius at idle). Your HDD maximum temperature should not exceed 55 degrees Celsius. For CPU temperature download and install an appropriate utility from your motherboard vendor. To know your HDD temperature you can download a free HD tune utility:

2.4 Check your power supply voltages: 12V line should not be below 11.5 and above 12.5 volts, 5V line should not be below 4.8 and above 5.2 volts. As usual, consult with your motherboard utility.

2.5 Check your cables connections.

2.6 Physically clean your computer (especially CPU fan).

2.7 If your computer has a firewire controller: make sure you do not have an unused firewire nic in device-manager - this often gives problems during VMware network setup ( by continuum ).

2.8 If your computer uses a NVIDIA chipset: download the configuration tool and disable the hardware firewall ( by continuum ).

3. Try to reproduce the error with a clean Windows installation.

If you can still reproduce a problem after you have completed all the items above then you are free to post your problem on this forum.

Thank you for your attention.

Any additions to this list are welcome.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> In short: uninstall everything you do not use or you do not quite understand.

Sorry - I couldn't resist Smiley Wink

Doesn't this mean that you have to uninstall Windows itself ?

some more points to check:

2.7 if your computer has a firewire controller: make sure you do not have an unused firewire nic in device-manager - this often gives problems during VMware network setup

2.8 if your computer uses a NVIDIA chipset: download the configuration tool and disable the hardware firewall

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert

Doesn't this mean that you have to uninstall Windows itself ?

Why not? I've been using Linux as a host OS exclusively since 2000 and haven't had a single problem since then Smiley Wink

Except, of course, troubles with modules compilation for newer kernels.

0 Kudos
Xiantez
Contributor
Contributor

I followed all the steps above but every time i go to install the application, it keeps saying that "SETUP HAS DETECTED VMWARE SOFTWARE ALREADY RUNNING ON THIS MACHINE, PLEASE POWER OFF OR SUSPEND ALL VIRTUAL MACHINES AND CLOSE ALL VMWARE APPLICATIONS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THIS PRODUCT"

I dont know why it keeps detecting another session. I havent even installed it yet. =\ Any suggestions?

I checked msconfig ( services and startup tab)

cleared temp files and folders

checked my task manage

tried installing to an external hard drive

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Did you happen to rename the setup file as "vmware.exe"?

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

Xiantez,

Please post a new question to a new thread. This way you can award points to those who help.

Install this and see if there is something still listed for VMware and click remove. When you install it, the clean up utility will show at the bottom of the programs list in your start menu.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/

Regards,

EvilOne

NOTE: If your problem or questions has been resolved, please mark this thread as answered and award points accordingly.

0 Kudos