VMware Cloud Community
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Vmotion & "virtual intranet"

When trying to migrate powered on Vm that has LAN attached to vSwitch only (no corresponding pNIC)

I get error:

Nnable to migrate. Currently connected network interface "Network Adapter 1" uses network VM DMZ which is "virtual intranet"

From the posts it seems to work as designed (even same name vSwitch exists on both ESX hosts)

My other options seems to be:

- power off VM & migrate

- use crossover cable & pNIC (not an option really, as I have NO more space for any NIC card - already using 6 NICs per ESX)

- VLAN

If I were to go for Vlan, how difficult is it to implement (on the ESX side - I can deal with the physical switch part)

I assume the Vlan would be put on interface that connects the private vSwitch to the pSwitch, right?

Or maybe ESX 3.5 will allow such migration?

Thanks

Seb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pierre-francois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what you have to add Smiley Wink :

<migrate>

<test>

<CompatibleNetworks>

<VMOnVirtualIntranet>false</VMOnVirtualIntranet>

</CompatibleNetworks>

</test>

</migrate>

You have to create this section at the end of the vpxd.cfg file but still in the section <config>

Enjoy !! Smiley Happy

Pierre-François

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

6 Nics should be more than enough to manage a lot of networks.

You should look up trunking and use it to your advantage.

Other than that your trying to migrate a machine from one host with a private vSwitch (no nic) to a host WITH a vswitch with a nic. This will not work since the network architecture is different on both hosts. VMWare will protect you from making a mistake like this.

You might be able to get around this problem by making two identical non connected vSwitches on both hosts. Then connect you VM's virtual nic to that network (can do this whilst running). Migrate the host. This is possible since both hosts match and both hosts have a virtual intranet, then once migrated set it to the vSwitch with physical nic.

P.S. I've never tried it but hope it works.

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, but it does NOT work (and that what I can not get my head around)

Both hosts have the same named vSwitches connetected (or not) to the same networks.

So in the case of "virtual intranet" in question vSwitch exists on both hosts & it is NOT connected on both hosts to any pNIC (that is the whole point of this DMZ network)

So the architecture is identical on both hosts

Vmotion while VM running is not possible (Vmotion with VM off gives an error, but carries on)

6 NICs is not that many, 1 x console, 2 x VMs, 1 x VMotion (so far by the book), 1 x external connection for firewall A, 1 x external connection for firewall B = 6

Seb

0 Kudos
TheVirtualNut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When trying to migrate powered on Vm that has LAN attached to vSwitch only (no corresponding pNIC)

I get error:

I was under the impression you could not VMotion guests that are connected to internal only vswitches. I thought they needed to be connected to a vswitch that had a physical NIC assigned?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I was under the impression you could not VMotion guests that are connected to internal only vswitches. I thought they needed to be connected to a vswitch that had a physical NIC assigned?

Exactly. You can only cold migrate such VMs.

0 Kudos
WillemB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disconnect the nic from the VM and then try migrating maybe it will swallow that.

0 Kudos
pierre-francois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually you can VMotion a VM that has an active connection to an internal switch (with no link to any pNIC), but in order to do that, you have to add some particular lines in the vpxd.cfg file on the VitualCenter Server. If you do that, VMotion works very well even for a VM that has an active connection to an internal switch but it's not supported by VMWare...

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"...some particular lines in the vpxd.cfg..."

Would you share what line would that be?

I would love to learn

"...but it's not supported by VMWare..."

I think I can live with that, especially that it does what I want it to do.

Disconnect NIC while VM is running is not really that easy, as my OS would probably go bananas for a moment

Seb

0 Kudos
pierre-francois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's what you have to add Smiley Wink :

<migrate>

<test>

<CompatibleNetworks>

</CompatibleNetworks>

</test>

</migrate>

You have to create this section at the end of the vpxd.cfg file but still in the section <config>

Enjoy !! Smiley Happy

Pierre-François

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

EXCELLENT, thanks a lot.

Now it does not even warn about the virtual intranet in VC

How would normal mortal know such things? You must be Vmware God....

Seb

0 Kudos
pierre-francois
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

lol !!

I'm glad to know it helps you. And no I'm not VMware God I'm just à VMware Trainer Smiley Wink

PF

0 Kudos
scerazy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Seems that this settings also work with VC 2.5

It would be nice to have it as an option (not needeing to edit config files by hand)

Thanks

Seb

0 Kudos
StefanoChiappin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Pierre, your solution worked great for me too (I have exactly the same scenario of scerazy) !

ESX server 3.5 + VC 2.5

Bye, Stefano

0 Kudos
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can someone provide me the path to the vpxd.cfg. I can not seem to find this anywhere on our VC install.

0 Kudos
beckhamk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

never mind.... i found the path from another post: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter

I must say, someone was off their rocker when they created the install paths for this.. This stuff should be under c:\programfiles\vmware\xxxxxx. I never in my life of windows development and installs has seen anyone install applications to that path. oh well.

0 Kudos
RS_1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

FYI, the trick still works on VC 4.0 U1 Smiley Wink

Thanks

0 Kudos
DomLap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Merci Pierre-Francois, ça fonctionne Super Bien.

Thx its working fine !

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

This doesn't work in vCenter 4.1

<migrate>

<test>

<CompatibleNetworks>

</CompatibleNetworks>

</test>

</migrate>

</config>

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
tsugliani
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It should work, there is a new KB now. (Did you restart your vCenter Service ?)

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=1003832

0 Kudos
QA15ER
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

From a vSphere Client connected to the vCenter Server navigate to Administration > vCenter Server Settings > Advanced Settings and add config.migrate.test.CompatibleNetworks.VMOnVirtualIntranet with a value of "false".

Making this change from vSphere Client does not require a restart of the Virtual Center Server service. To restore the usual checks, change the setting to "true".

Thsi will work with 2, 2.5, 4, 4.1 and 5.

0 Kudos