VMware Communities
mikh2007
Contributor
Contributor

vmware and vista: error when start

Hello.

I have next problem.

VMware workstation 6.0.0 installed on my laptop successfully (windows vista).

BUT after start this application I see message: "Application failure. hr = 0x80004003: (null)".

What does it mean?

Thanks for attention.

Message was edited by: mikh2007

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
blondie63
Contributor
Contributor

i've same problem but i've seen that Vmware team does'nt consider this problem !!

There's some empiric solutions on this forum but does'nt work well !

0 Kudos
Pumpitup
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem several times and never found a work around - the batch files just gave me permission errors. In fact the answer is very simple (so simple I'm surprised Vmware have never given a response to all those with this problem). Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, Vmware installs a multitude of keys (as described in the posts regarding the batch fix) which makes a post install correction of each key a real pain in the arris. In my case the permissions for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT at the root was corrupted (it's an OEM machine) and NO permissions were given at all, so I simply added SYSTEM and Administrators at the root with full control and checked that these permissions were automatically transferred to sub keys. I then installed Vmware and all permissions were automatically given to the sub keys so that I could access them.

Hope this helps those with this problem (and Vmware - I'd almost given up on the software under vista...........)

0 Kudos
Widmo
Contributor
Contributor

could You write step-by-step what is need to do ?
thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
blondie63
Contributor
Contributor

The only solution i've found was reinstall a clean Vista !!

Modyfing registry key as described on forum can to be good to start Vmware but then your vista became instable.

I've reinstall a new one and then vmware 6.0.2 and now it's allright !

bye

Mauro

0 Kudos
Widmo
Contributor
Contributor

ye, but pumpitup said he succesed run vmware 🙂
my vista have 4 weeks 😞
no way to reinstall it 🙂
and another way: launch another small, poor, cheap PC and test it there 😉
0 Kudos