VMware Communities
jbeckers
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.0.1 won't open VM's - undefined symbol: g_get_user_special_dir

Hi,

I've installed Workstation 6.0.1 on my Ubuntu Gutsy host (coming from 6.0.0). Now when I run vmware, the program starts correctly, but it crashes when I try to open a VM. It only displays this info:

joachim@madkeunnen:~$ vmware

/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:68: error: unexpected identifier `colorize_scrollbar', expected character `}'

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.so: undefined symbol: g_get_user_special_dir

joachim@madkeunnen:~$

When using the shipped gtk libraries, the same happens:

joachim@madkeunnen:~$ VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=force vmware

/usr/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc:68: error: unexpected identifier `colorize_scrollbar', expected character `}'

Fontconfig warning: no <cachedir> elements found. Check configuration.

Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>/var/cache/fontconfig</cachedir>

Fontconfig warning: adding <cachedir>~/.fontconfig</cachedir>

/usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/filesystems/libgnome-vfs.so: undefined symbol: g_get_user_special_dir

joachim@madkeunnen:~$

The last line is displayed when I open a VM.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bruggi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've the same issue on my openSUSE 10.3. As a work-around you can open your existing VM on cli. E.g. vmware /vmware/my-vm/my-vm.vmx

jbeckers
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the workaround bruggi.

however, I recently bought a 64 bit system, and this system doesn't have this issue. ubuntu gutsy x64 and vmware ws 6.0.1.

0 Kudos
bruggi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

There is still the same problem with Workstation 6.0.2 on my openSUSE 10.3. But starting VMware using "VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=no vmware" helps. And as a benefit, the complete VMware UI looks much better now.

0 Kudos
Marauder
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is still the same problem with Workstation 6.0.2 on my openSUSE 10.3. But starting VMware using "VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=no vmware" helps. And as a benefit, the complete VMware UI looks much better now.

That work around seems to do the trick with Mandriva 2008 as well, thanks!

0 Kudos
ilmarw
Contributor
Contributor

Cheers, that worked just fine with Ubuntu 7.10 running 6.0.2.

ilmar

0 Kudos
dinomel
Contributor
Contributor

Got it right, soles shared folders problems too (Mandriva 2008 x86-64) thanks

0 Kudos
WormFood
Contributor
Contributor

I am using Debian sid (unstable) and have this same problem with VMware 6.0.3. I solved it by just editing the /usr/bin/vmware script, and after the comments at the start of the file, I add "export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=no". It did not change the way anything looks for me, but it did "fix" the problem, and I don't have to start vmware from the command line.

0 Kudos