VMware Cloud Community
VTCFP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

build vm guest from iso

Hi All,

Can anyone advise possible reasons for why I cannot seem to build vm guests from iso? I'm trying to build a w2k8 32 and 64bit server via vmguest console and wont build from iso, only from host cdrom.

Any suggestions?

I am using Vsphere 4

Thanks in advance.

Fred

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Idea 1) You might try a different ISO in case the ISO you're using isn't a bootable ISO.

Idea 2) If you reboot a VM where you're not able to install from an ISO and when it first shows the VMware splash screen, see if you can go into the BIOS of the VM and determine where the BIOS CD setting is at on the IDE channels (or make sure the CD drive shows up as a Primary Master or a Primary Slave CD drive) and a CD drive exists in the VM BIOS). If the VM boots to quickly to hit the Escape key to allow you to go into the BIOS, in the Edit Settings/Options Tab/Boot Options of the VM you can tell the VM to go directly into the BIOS on the next boot of the VM as well as set the bootup timeout period (10,000 would be the highest numerical setting which would give you 10 seconds of delay before the VM starts up).

Idea 3) Also, while in the VM BIOS go into the Advanced Top Line Menu choice and choose Local Bus IDE Adapter setting and make sure Both IDE channels are engaged for the VM.

Datto

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Make sure you check the checkbox for "Connect at Power On" in the Edit Settings for the VM. As I remember, it doesn't automatically check that box when you choose the ISO to boot from so the VM bypasses the ISO when booting so you can't install.

Datto

0 Kudos
VTCFP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Datto,

I made sure this was set before submitting the post. I can install from CD's or DVDs directly from the host vm server but cannot build guest servers from ISO's on datastore.....

Any other ideas?

Much appreciated in advance.

Fred

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Idea 1) You might try a different ISO in case the ISO you're using isn't a bootable ISO.

Idea 2) If you reboot a VM where you're not able to install from an ISO and when it first shows the VMware splash screen, see if you can go into the BIOS of the VM and determine where the BIOS CD setting is at on the IDE channels (or make sure the CD drive shows up as a Primary Master or a Primary Slave CD drive) and a CD drive exists in the VM BIOS). If the VM boots to quickly to hit the Escape key to allow you to go into the BIOS, in the Edit Settings/Options Tab/Boot Options of the VM you can tell the VM to go directly into the BIOS on the next boot of the VM as well as set the bootup timeout period (10,000 would be the highest numerical setting which would give you 10 seconds of delay before the VM starts up).

Idea 3) Also, while in the VM BIOS go into the Advanced Top Line Menu choice and choose Local Bus IDE Adapter setting and make sure Both IDE channels are engaged for the VM.

Datto

0 Kudos
VTCFP
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Datto,

Thanks for your advice. Option 3 sorted out my issues. Much appreciated again.

Cheers,

Fred Smiley Happy

0 Kudos