VMware Cloud Community
Steve_Stokes
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading virtual hardware breaks symantec antivirus 10

When upgrading from hardware version 4 to 7 on vSphere ESXi breaks symmantec antivirus which then has to repair itself from the install source. I experieced this on both 2003 and 2000 guests and it affected every machine I upgraded.

I followed the documented sequence of:

Upgrade virtual center to vCenter, upgrade host (3.5U2 to 4.0), (start guest)upgrade vm tools (reboot), upgrade hardware, install new devices (reboot) repair antivirus!

Has anyone else experienced this or know this as an issue?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
allb18c
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, this is an issue.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1306946#1306946

I asked the other person to open a SR but I havent heard back yet. Are you planning to do so?

0 Kudos
Steve_Stokes
Contributor
Contributor

Yep I am upgrading another host soon so when I upgrade the vm's I will note the exact wording of the error and open a SR

0 Kudos
Steve_Stokes
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare tech confirmed the shared dll msvcp71.dll is removed by the virtual tools uninstall ironically as has been requesed by users in the past (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/82807) unfortunatly Symantec, MSSQL and a handful of other applications require this dll. The work around at the moment is the obvious repair the instillation or manually copy the file from the windows install disk.

Note my experience sugests this on affects ESXi vmtools installer I have upgraded ESX guests without issue.

0 Kudos
dougm
Contributor
Contributor

Just to let everyone know that there have been SRs submitted for this and it has been escalated to PR. I was told the fix will more than likely be in U1.

I found that if the problem is SAV, you can go to the Liveupdate folder and do a right click on the msvcp71.dll. This initiates and install and will fix the problem 90% of the time.

The other 10% I went to Add/Remove Programs and did a repair on SAV and pointed to the MSI when prompted. Out of the 20 Virtual servers, these two options have fixed the problem.

0 Kudos