VMware Cloud Community
smoluh101
Contributor
Contributor

storage disabled paths

hi, would you advise on how to automate checking hba paths, script tools etc. i have DC with ~40 clusters 100 esxi hosts and quite big number different storages.

thanks a lot for any hint! 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
In general the storage paths (HBA, NIC) are registered in the ESXi, if for some reason they are disabled you have to look for the root cause.
If for some reason you have to turn off the equipment, the recommended order of power on is:
switches first (3 to 5 minutes)
In second place the storages (disk expansion boxes and then controllers) this can last between 10 and 15 minutes, since these equipments are designed to work in continuous form.
In the last place the servers.

Some factors that can produce the flickering in the storage paths that leads to deactivate them in some occasions are:
1. firmware levels (Storage, swtich, HBA and server).
2. driver levels
3. HBA configuration (default auto, it is recommended to set a speed between all devices).
4. Switch configuration
5. Cables (proper distance, quality, physical routing)

Some storage vendors may provide recommendations for the storage network or website to validate firmware, drivers and HBA levels that compose the storage network.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos