VMware Cloud Community
bluesherpa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz

Would ESXi and 2 instances of Ubuntu run well (quickly) on a computer that has an Intel Core 2 CPU 6600 @ 2.4GHz and 6gigs of ram? Also, is there a SATA raid controller for under $250 that would work well with ESXi and 4 2TB western digital drives?

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It all depends on the workload but it should work just fine. Assuming that there aren't other issues with installing you could look at LSI on the Hardware Compatibility List . LSI has reasonable support in ESX(i) and hardware monitoring agents for LSI are included in the standard ESX(i) install. ESX(i) has a limit on datastore size. You would need a controller that can create virtual disks or virtual LUNs on an array. Individual virtual disks/luns must be slightly smaller that 2TB

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It all depends on the workload but it should work just fine. Assuming that there aren't other issues with installing you could look at LSI on the Hardware Compatibility List . LSI has reasonable support in ESX(i) and hardware monitoring agents for LSI are included in the standard ESX(i) install. ESX(i) has a limit on datastore size. You would need a controller that can create virtual disks or virtual LUNs on an array. Individual virtual disks/luns must be slightly smaller that 2TB

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bluesherpa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,

I've been trying to learn more about LSI products, but I'm a little

lost. Which one do you think they have that's the best in the $200

range? I also looked and found the Adaptec 2405. Which do you think

is better?

When you say that Virtual disks must be slightly smaller than 2TB,

that kind of suggests to me that running a NAS through one of the

instances might be a bad idea. Is that correct? My long-term goal is

to have 4 x 2TB drives in the system, using a majority of the space

for network storage. I just figured that I could set up the NAS with

ESXi to also support multiple virtual machines. What do you think?

Should I just plan on keeping the NAS separate from the ESXi server?

Thanks,

Ed

0 Kudos