VMware Communities
jmruperto
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Vista Host Ubuntu Guest File Share Issue

Windows Vist Home Premium, 64 bit Host machine; running Ubuntu  11.04 through VM Player 3.1.4.

I am trying to get Ubuntu to share a folder on the host with no success. From 'Virtual Machine'-Virtual Machine Settings'-'Options'- Shared Folder' I have selected a 'Public' folder on the host.  I tried to see the folder using the Ubuntu Nautilus file explorer but to no avail.

Interestingly: when I try to share folders while Ubuntu is running, using 'Virtual Machine'-Virtual Machine Settings'-'Options'- Shared Folder' There is a message that indicates 'To modify shared folders while the virtual machine is powered on, VMWare tools must be installed and running in the guest operating system', and the selection is Grayed Out. This is interesting because I have installed the tools several times including through the 'Terminal' using Linux command line but I get this message as if the tools are not installed.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Novice

0 Kudos
3 Replies
theAdmiral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have two computers: a laptop running Fedora 13 hosting hosting WinXP through VirtualBox, and a desktop dual-booting Fedora 12 and WinXP.

I currently do not have the configuration I am about to mention, but I used to have a drive on my laptop (in Linux) mapped to my Music folder on my desktop (WinXP).  The network was a wireless network.  You could do the same as a workaround ideally.  I used to be able to play music on my laptop (Linux) that was stored on my desktop through this method.

Don't hesitate with questions.

Hope this helps.

theAdmiral    

jmruperto
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Admiral, I'll give it  a try.

0 Kudos
theAdmiral
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

y/w