VMware Communities
mwildam
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Player breaks VPN client

As soon as I install the VMWare Player 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 (tested both versions) on my Ubuntu 10.04 (with kernel 2.6.32-41-generic-pae, but also tested older kernel), my Phion/Barracuda-Client does not work any more:

Error message is:

ERR: Invalid argument

Opening TAP Device failed

tapfd 6

When I uninstall VMWare Player, it works again. When trying with other kernels I found out that after reboot when the VMWare Player did it's part of compiling into the kernel then it does not work any more.

Anybody knows how I can probably fix this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please have a look followings link, it may help..

http://backreference.org/2010/03/26/tuntap-interface-tutorial/

Cheers, Udin

mwildam
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that hint, I have already seen that article and went through the initial part (that one without the coding examples) and also managed to create a second tun device. However, the client I use seems to clone the TUN device itself, that's probably why I cannot type or choose another device rather than /dev/net/tun or several tap devices (it just does not allow to continue identifying any other configuration as wrong). Unfortunately none of the TAP devices works (might be because of server side configuration of the customer, I don't know). So my only option is /dev/net/tun. (The phion/barracuda vpn client is used - one terminal based I got from the customer - myself I was not able to download some client from the website there). If anybody knows if there is another compatible client that works, would probably help.

But what I think: Somehow it seems that VMWare player is locking the dev/net/tun device that it can't be cloned by other processes what the intention of that device is. Just my impression - I am missing the knowledge how to proove that.

I have read again through the article - even the part with the coding. I also used openvpn to create a tun device but I still cannot choose that interface - pretty sure that the vpn client wants to clone the device itself. In my opinion the installed vmware player - after adding his portion to the kernel - is blocking device cloning.

0 Kudos
mwildam
Contributor
Contributor

Even stopping the running vmware services does not help in freeing that lock.

It can also be that there is a bug in the part that is compiled into the kernel breaking the functionality.

0 Kudos
mwildam
Contributor
Contributor

Tried it on Ubuntu 12.04 with latest updates. Situation changed.

Current version of VMWare Player either not runnable.

VMWare gets installed, but on first launch it tries to compile it's stuff to the kernel and that fails.

My current kernel:

Linux 3.2.0-24-generic-pae #39-Ubuntu SMP Mon May 21 18:54:21 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

0 Kudos
mwildam
Contributor
Contributor

With everything up-to-date (Ubuntu 12.04 with latest patches, VMWare Player) it now works again.

0 Kudos