VMware Communities
gunnie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"file not found" .vmdk

hands in my hair.. got a problem with a virtual machine, filenot found. The -flat file is present but the "normal" .vmdk isn't.

screenshots and log files attached, hope that someone can help me because my mailstorage is in there..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jakobwill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You could create a new VMDK file by create a new disk as the same size. And the open the new vmdk with wordpad, change the "new" -flat.vmdk to "old"-flat.vmdk.

But! before starting the machine do a snap shot!

Make sure that you dont use notepad!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jakobwill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You could create a new VMDK file by create a new disk as the same size. And the open the new vmdk with wordpad, change the "new" -flat.vmdk to "old"-flat.vmdk.

But! before starting the machine do a snap shot!

Make sure that you dont use notepad!

0 Kudos
gunnie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks! you've just saved my life Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gunnie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

replace old-flat.vdmk with newly made -flat.vmdk

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

BTW you've posted in the VMware Fusion forum and in the future you should post in VMware Communities > VMTN > Desktop Products > VMware Workstation for help with VMware Workstation.

Also I noticed from information in the vmware.log file that you just have the files that comprise the Virtual Machine in the root of the C: Drive and this is a very poor practice and you should create a separate folder to place the files that comprise the Virtual Machine in to themselves.

Example in the root of C:\ I have a folder named "Virtual Machines" and in that folder I have a separate folder for each of my Virtual Machines so you may want to move those file to say, "C:\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition".

It is a better and safer practice and it is typical discourage to place and or use individual files directly in the root of the system volume and instead add folders to the root and work within the folders instead.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

replace old-flat.vdmk with newly made -flat.vmdk

You can also create one using information in the vmware.log file and other known information without having to actually create a new disk.

0 Kudos