realized after the fact that it was too small, so I backed up the

partition using Symantec Ghost 12.0. I then went into OSX, removed the

bootcamp partition, and then created a new one using bootcamp. Before

restoring the partition, the OSX disk utility GUI read the partition as

the correct (40GB) size. After restoring the Ghost image, the disk

utility now reads the old size of 20GB. Does anyone know what’s going

on? It is interfering with VMWare Fusion’s ability to mount the

bootcamp partition from within OSX because it is (probably) looking for

it at the wrong part of the disk… Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

peyk

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Bob_Zimmerman
Expert
Expert

When you boot Windows natively, does it recognize the new size?

0 Kudos
peyk
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it does. Vista works great when booting natively through bootcamp. The partition size read by the osx disk utility is 20.5GB, the old value. Is that stored in Vista's MBR somewhere? It would probably be worthwhile for me to take a look at fixing the MBR through Windows Recovery Environment.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried forcing Fusion to reconstruct its Boot Camp VM too? In the Finder, having quit Fusion, in the Go menu, Go > Go to Folder, open this folder "~/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/Virtual Machines/Boot Camp" and delete the "%2Fdev..." folder and restart Fusion. Maybe this will make a difference.

peyk
Contributor
Contributor

I tried your suggestion and it failed during the preprocessing stage with an unknown error. I suspect it isn't the MBR, because I was able to use a vista utility which writes out the Vista MBR to the disk. However, the same issue remains, so perhaps it has something to do the the GUID partitioning that OS X uses? It could be the combination of MBR and GUID that is causing the OS X disk utiltity to read the wrong partition size.. I'm thinking that is also why Fusion won't boot the bootcamp partition, it is probably looking in the wrong area of the disk itself.

0 Kudos