VMware Cloud Community
NeoChen176
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

About the Deployment Parameter Workbook

Hi All,

I am a beginner in VCF and will be installing VCF 5 soon.

But seeing that there is a lot of content in the Workbook, I don't know which ones to fill in,

this should be able to install management domains (ESXi, VC, VSAN, NSX only installed)

Do anyone have any suggested projects?

Or a reference project?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
GaryJBlake
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You need to fill it all in, all the inputs are required to stand up ESXi, vCenter Server, vSAN and NSX.

If something is missing or incorrect when you upload the Workbook to Cloud Builder there is a validation step before deployment if anything is missing or incorrect it should tell you.

NeoChen176
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I saw two Excel files, one is "VMware Cloud Foundation Planning and Preparation Workbook"

and the other is "vcf ems deployment parameter". I

f I want to build a VCF, do I only need to fill in "vcf ems deployment parameter" to upload to cloud builder?

0 Kudos
GaryJBlake
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

For VMware Cloud Foundation, you are correct there are two XLS workbooks so let me explain a bit about them both.

Planning and Preparation Workbook

This workbook is used to capture all the inputs used across the Management Domain, a VI Workload Domain and any VMware Validated Solution later deployed on top of VMware Cloud Foundation, the basic idea is capture the data once and then reuse where needed as you walk through the deployment steps as the workbook includes output worksheets based on the thing your building which align to the procedures in the documenation (example: DNS, NTP settings this are needed for pretty much everything). My colleague Ken Gould wrote a blog a while back (even if it's a little outdated now) which is worth a read which explains more detail around the workbook.

Once completed this workbook can be used as part of your infrastructure documentation, like an as-built document.

Deployment Parameter Workbook

This workbook relates to the vcf-ems-deployment-parameter.xlsx document you mentioned, and its sole purpose is to define the parameters required to perform bringup of the Management Domain. If you have captured your data in the Planning and Preparation Workbook already then you can transfer this into the relevant cells of this workbook.

Essentially what then happens is when you upload the vcf-ems-deployment-parameter.xlsx to VMware Cloud Builder, the appliance reads the xlsx file and converts the data into a JSON specification which is then used to execute the validation and deployment of the Management Domain which configures ESXi, and deploys and configures vCenter Server, NSX Management Cluster and SDDC Manager. 

The alternative here would be for you to manually create the JSON specification file yourself using the API documentation but this is error prone and so the workbook helps minimise such issues.