VMware Cloud Community
EG2187
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

reassign RDM

I'm new to ESXi, and I have a question about reassigning an RDM to another operating system. The RDM in one continuous NTFS volume that I'd like to associate/attach with a different Windows server. Can I just remove it from one server in the properties section and then add it to the other? Just wondering if it's that easy. Would a backup be prudent when doing something like this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, I tested this exact scenario just yesterday with my colleague, as he asked if you can.

You just remove the RDM from VM1 and the same LUN as an RDM to VM2. You have to shutdown both VMs before you can move it though. Always backup the data before doing anything, just incase, otherwise the time you dont it doesnt go as planned.

Andy, VCP,

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

If you found this information useful please award points using the buttons at the top of the page accordingly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atbnet
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, I tested this exact scenario just yesterday with my colleague, as he asked if you can.

You just remove the RDM from VM1 and the same LUN as an RDM to VM2. You have to shutdown both VMs before you can move it though. Always backup the data before doing anything, just incase, otherwise the time you dont it doesnt go as planned.

Andy, VCP,

Andy Barnes
VCP / VCA-DT / MCITP:EA / CCIA
Help, Guides and How Tos... www.VMadmin.co.uk

0 Kudos
mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes this is a common task. I have performed it multiple times.

Backups are a must, just ask yourself how much is the data worth in hours to create?

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
cosy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HI ,

Can we setup same lun to access from 2 vms and the Physical Server?

I got 1 SQL Server so if we can do this i can create a vm and access as a DR.

Thanks,

0 Kudos