VMware Cloud Community
salmanahmad
Contributor
Contributor

IRQ Problem

ESXi cant seem to assign IRQs to te two onboard NICs and the USB Bus controller, i get something like this :

NIC - 002:00.0

bus 2 isnt present

no direct hookup for 002:00.0

trying through ISA irq 5

busIRQ=5 not connected

same for the other NIC NIC - 002:00.1

busIRQ=11 not connected

Serial bus controller: ServerWorks CSB6 OHCI USB Controller

Error: found OHCI device with no IRQ assigned,check BIOS settings

In BIOS there is absoulktely no setting to disable the NIC or change the IRQs

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Is this a supported motherboard and/or usb/NIC hardware?

In the BIOS, there are usually settings to manage PCI devices. Is there other PCI hardware on the MB that may be conflicting here as well?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
salmanahmad
Contributor
Contributor

Although not officailly supported , but it has worked for other people, even on this forum.And according to the 'vm-help.com' HCL it works too. Its an HP DL140 G1 Server. The onboard Broadcomm NIc are also on the supported list. There is no other hardware , if you plug anything ... like external NIC and i have tried plenty or a RAID/SATA Card , again the same problem.

when you do lspci -p , you can see that it doesnt give IRQs to any device

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have access to a linux live-cd? I would boot from one, and see if your devices are discovered and IRQs assigned correctly. If they are not, then you may have other hardware problems.

Is there a BIOS/firmware upgrade available for the mobo? I would update those as well if possible.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
TechFan
Contributor
Contributor

I think I have a working solution. I am not sure if it helps this group directly, but I see someone had issues with DL140 G1.

Posted originally to:

then also to:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1343734#1343734

I hope that helps.

0 Kudos