VMware Cloud Community
RobertPRAG
Contributor
Contributor

Help with vmware-cmd.pl and shutdown of VM's

Hi there,

We have recently implemented ESX3i within our environment and I have been looking at ways of carrying out a clean shutdown when the UPS runs out of battery.

I have created the following script which work to a degree:

"D:\Program Files\VMware\VMware VI Remote CLI\bin\vmware-cmd.pl" --server test.local.co.uk --username me --password password /vmfs/volumes/datastore1/testserver/test.vmx stop soft

This stops the Virtual Machine which is good, but it is not carrying out a soft stop - it literally stops it and when the server comes back online it complains it wasn't shut down properly.

I cannot see what is wrong with the command or how I can get the VM's to shut down cleanly if this doesn't work?

I have looked at the hostop.pl command and having to enter maintenance mode to shut down the host is not good. Especially if it won't automatically go back into "normal" mode when power returns! You could never put mission critical systems into ESXi without having onsite personal 24*7 to return the ESXi box to its normal condition which seems a little daft - maybe I've missed something?

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
0 Replies