VMware Cloud Community
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

USB over IP

Hi all,

I read about AnywhereUSB on the forum and decided to by one. It works fine, however, it only allows one host to connect to. Unfortunelately I did not realize that before I bought it. I have 3 servers that uses a USB dongle and I would like one USB over IP product that allows several hosts to connect to it. Does anyone know if such a product exists?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Gaute

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jmurdock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check out the keyspan USB server. Multiple PCs can connect to the unit simultaneously. Ports can be set up as dedicated(always assigned to a single PC), shared (one PC per port at a time), or a mixture of the two. Should be about $110 street. www.keyspan.com.

Works with dongles (at least the ones I've tried), modems, scanners and USB-to-RS232 converters.

Unit is not quite what I would call "Server/Enterprise" quality, but works well enough for many applications. They just released a USB 2.0 server - I have only used the older USB 1.1 server.

Also SIlex (www.silexamerica.com) makes a unit, but I have no experience with it.

Jerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sbeaver
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

AFAIK there is no product that does that currently

Steve Beaver
VMware Communities User Moderator
VMware vExpert 2009 - 2020
VMware NSX vExpert - 2019 - 2020
====
Co-Author of "VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center"
(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach
Come check out my blog: [www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog|http://www.virtualizationpractice.com/blog/]
Come follow me on twitter http://www.twitter.com/sbeaver

**The Cloud is a journey, not a project.**
0 Kudos
brsockel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I do understand that the product can only be used by one user at a time, can one use sign off and another user sign on to access the USB Device.

We have an instance where we will need multiple users to access a modem, but not all at once. We are looking for something inexpensive to accomplish this.

0 Kudos
Jmurdock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Check out the keyspan USB server. Multiple PCs can connect to the unit simultaneously. Ports can be set up as dedicated(always assigned to a single PC), shared (one PC per port at a time), or a mixture of the two. Should be about $110 street. www.keyspan.com.

Works with dongles (at least the ones I've tried), modems, scanners and USB-to-RS232 converters.

Unit is not quite what I would call "Server/Enterprise" quality, but works well enough for many applications. They just released a USB 2.0 server - I have only used the older USB 1.1 server.

Also SIlex (www.silexamerica.com) makes a unit, but I have no experience with it.

Jerry

0 Kudos
Aftenposten
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Jerry,

Thanks for your reply. It seems like Keyspan USB server is what I'm looking for.

Regards,

Gaute

0 Kudos
Darrel_Lee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can try USB Redirector PRO software from http://incentivespro.com

so, features: Inactive timeout feature. USB Redirector allows connecting USB devices that are occupied by other clients. Good Luck.

0 Kudos
bbusse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So, the Keyspan USB Server, you have actually used it and can confirm what you've written? I was just on their site and it kept mentioning this phrase: "the USB device may be used by any client PC -- on a “one at a time” basis."

Is that per device, or per "USB Server". As with the original poster on this topic, we have 2 of those AnywhereUSB/5 Devices and they work great for us, but as noted they are one entire AnywhereUSB (all 5 ports) per one guest/client at a time. No picking specific ports (Port 1 goes to Server1, port 2 and port 3 go to Server 2, etc)

Thats what we're looking for, and if thats what it does, this is a much cheaper alternative (provided the guests/clients are all on the same VLAN. Just looking for some confirmation before I go to management and request that we purchase a few of these USB Servers instead. Sounds like the same technology, only updated with more features. ( I just wrote DIGI today asking if they were ever going to make an enterprise level USB over IP server that does what it sounds like this Keyspan unit can do), only i'd like to see something built for enterprise (Rackmountable, Gigabit port, 10-20 USB ports,)

Brian

0 Kudos
Jmurdock
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I have used the Keyspan USB 1.1 server and can confirm. I have a couple of the AnywhereUSB units as well, and this is not the same.

On a single Keyspan server, I have two modems and a scanner attached. A server (in a VM) uses one modem. The other modem is used by anyone who needed it at the time and for testing (usually me), and the scanner is used by anyone at the time.

I set the "server modem" up as a dedicated device - only the server can connect to it and it stays connected as if physically attached. This modem is actually an old USR Courier using a serial to USB adapter. A dedicated device works much the same as the AnywhereUSB, but only the device is dedicated, not the server.

The second modem and scanner are both set up as shared devices. Any user can connect to any shared device. "User A" can use the modem while "User B" uses the scanner. If "User A" then needs the scanner, he can "disconnect" it from "User B" and grab control.

The device sharing actually appears to be "per attached device" and not "per port" so I think in theory, you could have more than four USB devices attached and individually accessible (but this IS untested by me - haven't had the need yet).

There are some basic password controls you can set if you need them, but this is not a "high security" enterprise class product with extenisve ACL lists or the like.

The new USB 2.0 server appears to use the same software, so I would expect functionality to be the same.

Jerry

0 Kudos
bbusse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Jerry, that sounds exactly like what we're needing. I found one on Ebay that i'll do some testing with relatively cheap and if all works out, we'll end up getting a few of these.

I really wish KeySpan or Digi, or anyone.. would develop an enterprise level device with AD integration for permissions to devices, 10+ ports, rack mountable, and a gig port for increased bandwidth. Our network guys aren't too excited about having a shelf in our nice new racks for USB "hubs", but as of right now, what's a guy to do. I may end up fabbing up my own mount for these, maybe something that can have 2 devices side by side just so it looks "professional". We do have walkthroughs of our datacenter from time to time and anything that goes in the new racks has to look good. Smiley Happy

I appreciate the detailed depiction of your usage. That just clinched it for us.

Thanks again, Jerry,

Brian

0 Kudos