VMware Cloud Community
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

SRM Failover

Hi all,

I am pretty sure I know this answer, but I have some questions/concerns.

I have several protection groups that have a several VM's assigned to them.  Each protection group contains VM's that are on a single datastore (one datastore per protection group).  We've run multiple tests with no issues at all, so now I want to run an actual recovery, at least on one protection group that has a couple test VM's on them.

The reason, I would like to know that reprotect works and verify that it changes the ip address back to what I have assigned in the Protected site address settings field for each VM.

My fear is, once I to a Recovery, more than one LUN will failover causing a disaster.  I know SRM is supposed to only fail over the LUN that is in the Protection Group, or else there is no point to the Protection Group...

Do I have any reason to be concerned?  No other LUN will failover or at least it isn't supposed to....

Thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
GreatWhiteTec
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You have no reason to be concerned. SRM will only failover the VMs of the protection group that you have selected. It is almost the same as the test with a few differences of course. By default SRM renames the datastore that was failed over at the recovery site, so don't freak out when you see a different datastore name. You can change that setting if you want.

0 Kudos
esnmb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great, thanks for the reply!  I was stressing out about it even though logically I knew it didn't work that way... Better safe than sorry I suppose.

0 Kudos