VMware Horizon Community
lschwingler
Contributor
Contributor

mapping printers with view 4

I'm setting up a test environment to convince my company that virtual desktop is the way to go but I'm having a little trouble with figuring out how to handle printing. I'm in a healthcare setting where people will be constantly using different network printers everyday based on the device (thin or think client) they connect to their virtual desktop from. Does View have a way of handling this? I've tried reading up on virtual printing in view but all the documentation is pretty vague on how it actually works. Has anyone else found a solution to this type of situation? We do run print servers.

Thanks

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DwayneL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello

I would like to help you but i might need some more details from you. View has a small piece of thin print built in that will help you if the thin\think client has a default printer set. The thin print client will use default printer on the local client as the defualt printer in the vm. note thin print client still needs to be done with RDP streams not PCoIP

If you need something with more control you might have to buck and spend the money on a third party tool. Thinprint also has tool, the Dynamic Printer Matrix allows you to assign printers based on IP range, client, printer, class or driver name. I am also in Health Care(Canada) and we deilver a whole health region with VDI. We currently maps on there printers with AD.

-Dwayne Lessner

-Dwayne Lessner
0 Kudos
lschwingler
Contributor
Contributor

The plan is to use PCoIP so I guess the virtual printing option is out. How are you using AD to map printers? I'm envisioning checking a database with hostnames and default printer for said hostname.

0 Kudos
DwayneL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are useing putting people in groups and then we have a log on script that maps the printers for the users.

-Dwayne Lessner

-Dwayne Lessner
0 Kudos
mammer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You could try printer mapping based on the computer name/OU with Group policy preferences. Have a look at:

http://blogs.technet.com/grouppolicy/archive/2009/06/24/gp-preferences-set-a-default-printer.aspx

0 Kudos