VMware Horizon Community
Alan88
Contributor
Contributor

VMware View and ESXi HA

I'm going to deploy VMware View for 250 VM.

As I understand I must purchase 250 licenses for vSphere Desktop but I don't understand how does it look with HA for ESXi hosts.

I would like to have 5 ESXi hosts and on each 50 VM. Do I have to buy 5 licenses for vSphere, do vSphere license for Desktop allows me to install unlimited number hosts for VDI?

Do I also have to have additional ESXi host for Windows 2008 with View Connection Server, can I install Connection Server on one of the 5 hosts according to vSphere for Desktop.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Alan and welcome to the forums.

So it depends on what View-licenses you have, there is two variants, with and without vSphere licenses.

Which one do you have?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Alan88
Contributor
Contributor

Now I do not have any vSphere licenses, I'm going to buy VMware View Enterprise (Bundle).
And then I will need additional vSphere licenses for HA and 2K8 VM (Connection Server Connection Server Replica...)?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

If you get the vSphere for desktop license you can install the amount of desktop workloads that your serving up through View and also any desktop components on those clusters.   Also another advantage of those licenses is that there is no ram cap on the license unlike the regular vSphere licenses.   You have to keep in mind that only desktop workloads can be run on those licenses.  

The option is to just license the environment like you would a virtual server environment.

0 Kudos
jcosta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this was a while ago but Alan did you ever figure out if you could run the required server 2008 ops on the same ESXi box using the vsphere desktop licenses?  Did you have to have a seperate ESXi box and license to run the server platforms?

Thanks!

0 Kudos