VMware Cloud Community
GregCu
Contributor
Contributor

vCenter Login Problems

Hi All,

We have a ESX 4.1 702113 environment with 5 remote sites. Each site has it's own vCenter Server not in a linked mode configuration.Last week I got into work and on three different vCenter Servers I was unable to logon. Only two of the other vCenters were allowing me to logon. There were no VMware updates done and no MS updates done. The error message reveived is:

An internal error occured in the vSphere Client. Details: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object.

So far I have rebooted the vCenter Server, reinstalled the VIClient, updated the VIClient to a later version but the error still appears. Has anyone encountered this and managed to fix it?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BilBens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try to replace VIClient.dll.

To replace VIClient.dll:
  1. Extract VIClient.dll from VIClient.7z (VIClient.7z) to a temporary location.

Note: You may need to download the 7-Zip tool from http://www.7-zip.org/.

2. Ensure that no vSphere Client sessions are currently running. Terminate all sessions.
  3. In the Windows Installation Drive (usually C:), go to Program Files\VMWare\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\4.1\.
  4. Locate the file named VIClient.dll and rename it to VIClient_Orig.dll.
  5. Copy the extracted VIClient.dll to Program Files\VMWare\Infrastructure\Virtual Infrastructure Client\4.1\.
  6. Restart the vSphere Client.

------------

Bil Bens

Please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points to those Answers you found useful or correct.
0 Kudos
GregCu
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Bil, tried that and still no luck

0 Kudos
BilBens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried from another client?

Please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points to those Answers you found useful or correct.
0 Kudos
BilBens
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This issue is resolved in vCenter Server 4.1 Update 2. To download vCenter Server 4.1 Update 2, see the VMware Download Center.

0 Kudos
GregCu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bil,

Just upgraded to vCenter 4.1 Update 2 and same issue still persists. Then updated to update 3 and same issue. Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
GregCu
Contributor
Contributor

Uninstalled and removed vCenter databse. Reinstalled with update 3 and freesh database.

0 Kudos