VMware Cloud Community
MGE01
Contributor
Contributor

"Automatic startup" error when configuring VM auto startup

I am using the vSphere client to configure my VM guests to auto-start when the VM host is booted (Host Configuration\Virtual Machine Startup/Shutdown, Properties).

When clicking on <ok> to commit the changes I get the error message below.  After clicking <close> on the error, the vSphere shows the correct startup options for the guests (auto start, startup delay, etc).

A specified parameter was not correct.  vim.host.AutoStartManager.AutoPowerInfo.key

Call "HostAutoStartManager.Reconfigure" for object "ha-autostart-mgr" on ESXi "x.x.x.x" failed.

vSphere client = v4.1.0 build 491557

VMHost = ESXi v4.1.0 build 502767

Any idea what is causing the error and how to fix it?

Can the error be ignored without issues?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartinT80
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same error on a cluster with Vsphere 5.0 Hosts.  I was setting up the UPS for a new Cluster.  The test shutdown failed, but I cannot tell if that was because of incorrect settings for the test shutdown that were resolved before the next shutdown or because this error indicated something that breaks the autostart manager.

A reboot of the host stopped the error from occurring and subsequent tests were passed.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

MGE01 wrote:

Any idea what is causing the error and how to fix it?

Do you have a cluster with HA enabled?

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos
ddawson100
Contributor
Contributor

I had this same issue when connected via vCenter but was able to complete the configuration when connecting to the machine directly.

0 Kudos
bbb_forever
Contributor
Contributor

Quick solution.

I encountered the same error on:

vSphere Client v4.1.0 Build 345043

VMware ESXi v4.1.0 Build 348481

I resolved the error by closing the vSphere Client, and re-launching it.

Then the client could make the configuration changes without showing the error.

I assume it was some sort of client-server connection 'glitch' that goes away if you restart the vSphere client and reconnect to the host.

0 Kudos