VMware Cloud Community
Rimfire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a VMware vSpehere 6 Essentials License can I upgrade to vSphere 7?

Hi
The vSphere license is about to expire very soon. I believe I have already installed the latest available HPE Custom Image "HPE Gen9 Plus Custom Image for ESXi 6.7 Update 3" to the hosts. This one:

Client version:

Client build number:
ESXi version:
ESXi build number:

I wonder if I'm entitled to upgrade the vSpehere 6 to vSphere 7? Will the license key apply to vSphere 7? Is it legal? Or am I restricted to 6.7 U3. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It used to be that you had to have an active Support & Subscription contract in order to upgrade - that's when licenses were perpetual.

VMware has now switched to a subscription model, that might have changed things.

Best to check with whoever you bought your license from.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Rimfire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh, I purchased it via my credit card from VMware shop. Wonder if anyone in this forum knows if I can upgrade it before the maintenance expires. 

0 Kudos
Rimfire
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
If you purchased a paid VMware vSphere license, between 2020 to 2023 and you had a support contract or have a current support contract, you may be entitled to upgrade your license to version 7 or higher.
Your licenses must be registered in the VMware connect web (user and password), log into the license management section and check what licenses you have and if they can be upgraded.

Attached are the versions and the year of release:
vmware vsphere 6.0 2015
vmware vsphere 6.7 2018
vmware vsphere 7 2020

Note: the free licenses (discontinued) are not listed in the license manager, and are not upgradeable.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos