VMware Cloud Community
vmproteau
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.1 installable and HP Insight Manager

I've been running ESX with HP Management Agents for 4 years over severall versions of ESX. Early on the agents were flaky, there was little information, and they didn't always function as advertised. Now we rely on them for comprehensive hardware monitoring and they probably since early ESX 3.5 they have been relatively solid with better and better integration with ESX.

I am transitioning from ESX to ESXi 4.1 installable and I am having he same difficulties finding information as I did 4 years ago. I did install the "hp-esxi4.1uX-bundle-1.0.zip" and can do a very basic discovery of the Host but, it isn't useful in its current state.

(1) Is there any decent documentation for configuring an ESXi 4.1 in HP Insight Manager?

(2) I assume I can still get traps that alert up to the Insight Manager Console. Is that true?

(3) Does SMH still exist or is there some other means for our NOC to drill down to identify a hardware problem?

Any help would be much appreciated. I would think since ESXi has existed for sometime now there would be plenty of documentation but, I'm not finding anything.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think 4.1 is supported in SIM yet. I haven't set it up in a while but you use the WBEM section for configuring the ESXi CIM connection. Just things from memory

root/cimv2 is important

You must subscribe WBEM events

A link I kept http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware-esx3i/index.html bottom of the page for a python tool to query CIM

SNMP is supported. SNMP is configured from the CLI or VMA. You can download the MIBs from HP. System Management Homepage is available. Try the ILO ip.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos