ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Direct 10 GbE network connection between host and NAS

Posted 28 days ago

Hello all,

I have a standalone ESXi 7.0 host on a Dell PowerEdge R540.
    I also have a QNAP NAS that I use for hosting an NFS datastore.

The connection between the two is over the network, but I would like to connect them directly, so traffic doesn't traverse over the network.

I can add 2x10 GbE SFP+ transceivers to the NAS and a Dual Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe Adapter to the Dell server.

My questions are:

1. Is connecting the ESXi host to the NAS directly doable to begin with?
    2. How will I be able to assign a static IP to the new added NIC on the ESXi host? Will it show up in the IPv4 settings?
    3. I can aggregate two ports on the NAS - can I also do that on the ESXi side? If not, I guess there's no reason for two transceivers on the server other than a spare?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Direct 10 GbE network connection between host and NAS

Posted 28 days ago

Is connecting the ESXi host to the NAS directly doable to begin with?

Yes, should be. Still you can try to test it as I don't find any reference article with steps.

How will I be able to assign a static IP to the new added NIC on the ESXi host? Will it show up in the IPv4 settings?

You have to create a vmkernel portgroup in order to configure network on ESXi node. 

I can aggregate two ports on the NAS - can I also do that on the ESXi side? If not, I guess there's no reason for two transceivers on the server other than a spare?

In the virtual switch settings you can set a teaming policy for nics and make them active/active.