VMware Cloud Community
victoravalos
Contributor
Contributor

The hardware family of the OVF package is not supported vmx-07 (Fusion to ESXi)...

Convert Fusion VMDK to OVF completes successfully supposedly, but error occurs on startup of the VM.

What are the appropriate steps to successfully convert a VM from Fusion to ESX?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
cqpanis3
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We're encountering the same error when trying to import a VM appliance (ova or ovf) from VMWare Infrastructure Client 2.5.

The appliance we are trying to import was created from VMWare Workstation 6.5. The VM we converted was also created from Workstation 6.5.

The VM was created on an IBM x3650 and we are trying to transfer it to an ESXi installation on an IBM x3400.

0 Kudos
cqpanis3
Contributor
Contributor

We have solved our issue and I hope this solution will be good for you as well:

When converting the VMs, in the Destination Type step, do not choose Virtual Appliance. Instead, convert straight to the VMWare Infrastructure Virtual Machine type (Option 1). You need to have access and credentials to the ESX or ESXi server though.

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

When we take a vmx VM with hardware version 6 (for example) and export it to OVF, the resultant OVF file will have hardware family recorded as vmx-06. Fusion 2.0 uses vmx VM hardware version 7 ... so the OVF will be version vmx-07. This is not compatible with ESX. If you first convert to workstation 5.5 or 6.0, which basically downgrades the virtual hardware ... then you can convert to ESX.

How are you attempting to import this? I have seen this error when using VirtualCenter (VI Client) to import it, but Converter stand alone can typically avoid it if you send directly to the ESX host.

0 Kudos
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Just to offer a bit more clarity. OVF is a packaging format for redistribution of VMs. You need to use converter to convert from Workstation/Fusion/Server/ESX to OVF for distribution purposes. Then the consumer of the OVF should use Converter to convert from OVF to Workstation/Fusion/Server/ESX. OVF is not a runtime format. Hope this will help in clarifying the purpose of OVF. For more information on this feel free to look at the OVF spec in DMTF.

0 Kudos
victoravalos
Contributor
Contributor

It sounds like you are using a gui to convert.

Are you using something other than the converter command line?

0 Kudos
victoravalos
Contributor
Contributor

How do I choose what version to convert to?

0 Kudos
victoravalos
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to move my VM from my Mac running Fusion to the ESXi server that I have running.

In ESXi, the only way to import a VM is to import as OVF - unless there is another import feature that I am missing.

Copying over the raw files (vmdk and other files) from my Mac to the ESXi box and trying to launch the VM does not work either.

How do I get my VM's that currently work on Fusion to work in the ESXi environment?

0 Kudos
paragsha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. Install Converter on a windows machine ()

2. Mount your Mac partition on the windows machine

3. Select source type as "other"

4. Browse to the .vmx file of you Fusion VM and select that as source image

5. Select what ever you want on the "source data" page

6. Select "Vmware Infrastucture Virtual Machine" as destination type

7. Provide IP address and credentials of you ESXi

Rest should be straight forward.

0 Kudos
victoravalos
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,

I will give this a shot and report back.

I guess I had downloaded the command line utility and that was not much help causing the error above on open. Hopefully this tool works better.

0 Kudos
dddan
Contributor
Contributor

change to vmx-04.

0 Kudos
Clecio
Contributor
Contributor

Yes really works!

virtualHW.version = "7"

set this line in .vmx file to "4"

Verify your .vmdk file for some version hardware parameter. Then comment it or remove.

0 Kudos
Turbodewd
Contributor
Contributor

I'm getting the same problem as per the title of this thread. Im using VI Client 2.5, ESX 3i v3.5 and Converter 3. I have built some VMs on my desktop using VMWare Server 2.0.

Ive tried as per above, that is changing the line in the VMX file from virtualHW.version = "7" to "4"

Still no luck.

Basically it fails for me in two ways. If I convert my VM to an OVF then try to import that using VI Client i get the error as per the title of this thread.

If I use Converter 3.0.3 to export a VM to the ESX host then it appears to be exported properly, however then I cant power on the VM, i get "A general system error occurred: Internal error"

Im told my version of Converter is out of date...Ill grab the new version, 4, and try this.

Anyone else have any ideas?

0 Kudos