VMware Cloud Community
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

I am unable to convert centos 5.5 machine through convertor

Hi All,

I want to convert centos 5 machine to virtual server ESX. Ater boot the centos with bootable cd vcenter convertor and trying to import machine. On very first step when it will chck the source it will give me the error "Warning no source found" what is this problem

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

VMware Converter does not support CentOS. It is only supporting the below:

Source physical machines running 64-bit Windows XP/2003, Windows XP, Windows 2003, Windows Server 2008, and Linux (RHEL, SUSE and Ubuntu)

Nonethless, since it is a variant of redhat it works most of the time. In order for us you help you further i would suggest you attaching the log file and we could analyze it for you.

0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

I have also checked this on RedHat. My source machine is RHEL and destination is ESX server. On click source it will return “Warning cannot configured source image” so kindly tell me where is the problem. If u need any further information from my side you can email me. I want to use this software on my company right now I am using trial version but its my first step and this cannot be completely so how would I recommend to my boss to purchase this software. So kindly help me and tell me what I do for this

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Coldclone CDs can not configure Linux - you must use hotclone to do  that

kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

What is the difference between hot and cold clone

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

cold = source system is turned off
hot = source system is turned on

0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

You mean to say that I should install convertor on any machine and then on running environment I will get the clone of that machine. Still I cant understand how it is possible that we cant get the clone of linux or centos machines.

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

???

the coldclone CD just does not have the required tools to do this.

hotclones of Linux needs a Linux helper VM to patch the system .... e.g. adjust initrd and fstab and so on.
The coldclone CD does not have this helper VM on board

0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks for your help my another question is that

1) Is it possible in esx server that we cant fix the processor speed in virtual machine. I mean not a static

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

fix CPU speed ? - is it broken ? 😉

no - to change the CPU itself in a VM you need a real emulator like BOCH

0 Kudos
kashhhhhhh
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks