VMware Cloud Community
pijssel
Contributor
Contributor

Converting VMWorkstation to ESXi

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to VMware but I've allready managed to setup a good and proper working ESXi server (v3.5.0) with a couple of vm's.

At the moment I have a VM Workstation edition from Cisco's Meetingplace Express, but I want to have it converted to ESXi. Now if I do this with the Converter and try to boot it, I get a Grub error. This because the Workstation vm is working with IDE vdisks and the ESXi with SCSI vdisks. Now I've spend some time on this forum trying to find a way how to get it converted properly, but I still don't get it to work Smiley Sad

These are the files I currently have (Workstation):

- CUMPE2.vmdk

- host.vmpl

- nvram

- red hat linux.vmem

- Red Hat Linux.vmpl

- Red Hat Linux.vmsd

- Red Hat Linux.vmx

- Red Hat Linux.vmxf

These files are available on the ESXi server after the conversion:

- DIG-MPX-01.vmx

- DIG-MPX-01.vmdk

- DIG-MPX-01.nvram

- DIG-MPX-01.vmxf

- DIG-MPX-01.vmsd

- DIG-MPX-01-459e5c0b.vswp

- vmware-1.log

- vmware-2.log

- vmware.log

I'm pretty stuck, even after using the search option on this forum and good ol' Google....

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
The_Reckoning55
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It is a little expensive but you could do a Platespin PowerConvert. I think the license is 200 dollars a shot, but they will help you until you get the machine converted and it works.

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful

DJ Gillit

Network Engineer

CoNetrix, Inc

www.conetrix.com

**Remember to award points if you found this post helpful DJ Gillit, VSP, VTSP Systems Integration and Special Projects localLINUX, Inc www.locallinux.com
0 Kudos
R-Sommer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is not an VMware Issue, so Google can show you lots of solution methods. One is booting your VM with Knoppix, VRML or s.th. like that and modify grub settings or reinstall grub. My preferred way is to start grub and enter these commands:

root (hd0,0) #if it is the first partition on the first harddisk

setup (hd0)

reboot

0 Kudos
snakerdlk
Contributor
Contributor

did you convert the existing virtual machine to virtual center by uploading it to the datastore automatically ?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Pijssel,

Did you try using Converter 4.0's Linux P2V functionality to convert the Workstation VM to ESX? Basically you can keep the source VM powered on and convert it to ESX as if it's a physical machine. In this way, Converter will take care of the reconfiguration after the virtual hardwares are changed.

0 Kudos