Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Make soundcard visible in esxi

I'm able to use my esxi in a pc with asus P5q

Pro and ich 10 intel controller, now I have just install my

first virtual machine vith xp pro but when I edit my machine I don't be

able to add the soundcard... There is a way for run the sound card

installed in my MB or it's impossibile like the usb port if I don't use a lan-usb system?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
redyouch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are connecting to the virtual machine via RDP, you should not need to install a soundcard. It should automatically use the client machines soundcard. You may have to change the settings in the RDP file to "Forward sound to remote machine."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Jasemccarty
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi shouldn't support sound cards, at least I don't think.

To use anything USB, you'll need to use an IP based USB solution, something like Anywhere USB.

Not sure how you would get the sound out of the guest, given that the console doesn't have any sound capabilities.

Cheers,

Jase McCarty

http://www.jasemccarty.com

Co-Author of VMware ESX Essentials in the Virtual Data Center

(ISBN:1420070274) from Auerbach

Please consider awarding points if this post was helpful or correct

Jase McCarty - @jasemccarty
0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

simo79,

Try adding the following lines to your VM's .vmx file

sound.present = "TRUE"sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

--sanjana

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for reply... In which directory of esx I can find my .vmx file of my virtual machine?

Simo79

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It would be in the same directory as the VMDK you boot form -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have add this instruction in my .vmx file

sound.present = "TRUE"sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

when I turn on the vm i receive this message (look the file attach)

Simone

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

simo79,

Thanks for trying that out. More questions for you

- do you have a sound card on the system?

- can you also attach your vmx file?

--sanjana

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I have the soundcard integrated on my MB...

Look my attach....

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Someone can help me?

0 Kudos
btsn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX/ESXi is a server based platform for running servers, why do you or would you want soundcard support?

Dont waste ESX for running windows XP VM's. Get a copy of vmware server or player for running windows XP.

(vmware should never have given away ESX, I wish they would have charged at least $99)

0 Kudos
Sanjana
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

simo79,

kb article 1004839 might be of help? The vmx entries I provided earlier were for using an esx VM in workstation. You can get sound through RDP for windows VMs

--sanjana

0 Kudos
redyouch
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If you are connecting to the virtual machine via RDP, you should not need to install a soundcard. It should automatically use the client machines soundcard. You may have to change the settings in the RDP file to "Forward sound to remote machine."

0 Kudos
simo79
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, good idea.. RDP can help me...

Problem solved

0 Kudos
TheFuzz4_net
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Now be that I am an IT professional myself I agree with you that ESXi should not be used for XP guests and it is a server solution.  However I did actually have a need for my ESXi server at home.  I wanted to take all of my servers at home and virtualize them all so ESXi was the way to go.  One of my servers included a WinXP box.  This WinXP box serves four purposes at home.  1. It is my Orb server. 2. It is my PlayOn box and 3. Its my share server and its also my backup host. 

So in order for playon to work I needed a sound card.  Not because I want to listen to the sounds of my xp box but because PlayOn wouldn't function without it.  So I ended up plugging in my logitech headset as just a trial and it worked like a champ.  So that right there is just one scenario why a user might need a sound card for a guest in ESXi. 

0 Kudos